Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV)
We needed to undertake a general visual inspection of the river span of the QEII bridge, but the river span was inaccessible. This brought up a good opportunity to understand the requirements to use and mobilise a UAV in a high profile area, and to inspect areas where access is limited.
Innovators: Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Use an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) to undertake bridge inspections on the M25.
- Information gained to be incorporated into a strategy and guidelines for the use of UAV’s as an inspection tool on a live network.
- Use of high definition imagery and heat surveys.
The Benefits & The Future:
- Improved efficiencies in the inspection regime.
- Utilisation of current each to determine the limitations and benefits of its application.
- Reduced need for roped access, confined space and diving inspections – thereby improving road worker safety exposure.
- Good visual inspection tool that can assist with inspections of the asset.
- For long term benefit, UAV’s need to be able to undertake more than just visual imagery and heat surveys. e.g. physical/intrusive testing.