Assistant Quantity Surveyor
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for an Assistant Quantity Surveyor to join our Highways team to work in Leatherhead with some travel in the M25 motorway region.
To provide assistance to the Commercial/Quantity Surveying team in relation to commercial & contractual control and to support the co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of a specific project or range of projects.
What you’ll be doing
As an Assistant Quantity Surveyor, you will have the following responsibilities:
- Carry out tasks as instructed by various members of the Commercial/Quantity Surveying team, such as measurement for valuations
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company QHSE procedures and work instructions
- Assist in the management and maintenance of the contract cost reporting system as directed by the line manager
- Prepare cash flows for payments in and out
- Assist in the preparation of accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value
- Assist with sub-contract tender process and support the preparation of sub-contract documentation
- Prepare payment certificates for sub-contract work
- Assist with the preparation of interim applications for payment
- Assist with the valuation of variations
- Assist with the preparation of valuations and claims, ensuring that they are supported by relevant records
- Assist in the preparation of accurate monthly reporting of cost and value on the project(s) in line with the Companys reporting process
- Identify potential risk and opportunities and escalate these as appropriate
- Carry out all activities so as to comply with BMS and Group Minimum Commercial Expectations
- Where appropriate and where used on the specified project, assist with the utilisation of BIM to support progress monitoring, provide commercial reporting and incorporate information to support change management, variations orders and encourage
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm
- Support the delivery of the business Sustainability activities
Who we’re looking for
You will have the following experience and qualities:
Some previous relevant experience in quantity surveying is required. Membership of a relevant professional body and/or working towards a relevant professional qualification is desirable, such as RICS/CIOB/RIBA/ICE/InstCES. A valid CSCS card is required. Full UK/EU Driving Licence.
Individuals will require:
- Awareness of the tendering process
- Awareness of the various forms of contract used across the industry
- Knowledge and understanding of commercial management of Construction projects and the construction process in general
Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles
- Awareness of the requirements to provide and obtain Insurance, Bonds and Warranties
- Proficiency in administration, writing, numeracy, IT and MS Office
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative
- Enthusiasm and results focus, together with an ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Effective negotiation skills with both internal and external customers
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers’ Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.