Assistant Structures Engineer
Asset Management - Structures
Connect Plus Services (CPS) is a joint venture contract made up of Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering, Atkins and Egis. The contract maintains and operates the M25 DBFO including surrounding roads on behalf of the Highways England and provides an excellent opportunity to work on one of the busiest networks in Europe.
The Structures Asset comprises over 1800 individual structures ranging from small span structures to the QEII Bridge at the Dartford River Crossing. The role of Assistant Structures Asset Engineer will include the development of whole lifecycle plans to satisfy the long term handback requirements of the M25 DBFO contract and will encompass use and update of the asset management system, bridge inspections, inventory management, deterioration modelling, decision support tools, whole life costing and development of prioritised annual, 5 year and 30 year asset management plans.
We are currently seek 2 no. Assistant Structures Engineers to join our Asset Team. The role will involve working closely with Structures Manager and Senior Structures Asset Engineer in managing the Structures Asset. Interface with Asset Investment, Technical, Design, Delivery and Maintenance teams across the Connect Plus/Connect Plus Services Team.
Key responsibilities / duties:
· Implementing maintenance and renewal strategies for all structure categories i.e. bridges and large culverts, small span structures, retaining walls, sign/signal gantries and masts;
· Development of deterioration profiles and decision trees in support of maintenance intervention strategies;
· Utilising the Asset Management System including RMMS and Decision Support Tools in identifying structural maintenance interventions;
· Gap analysis of Structures Asset data including inventory and structure sub-division to support long term modelling of asset performance;
· Support the delivery and undertake as required bridge inspections;
· Development of Structures Routine Maintenance Schedules;
· Scheme Identification/Option Studies and other lifecycle advisory activities in relation to structures renewals;
· Whole life cost analysis including lifecycle planning, optimisation and prioritisation of renewal schemes in the support of the development of the Annual Asset Management Plan, 5 year Rolling Asset Management Plan and 30 year Rolling Asset Management Plan
· Compliance with legislation and contract service schedules in relation to bridge structures;
Support programme of work on Substandard Structures including piers and parapets
· Liaison with the CPS on-roads team to ensure consistency in maintenance regimes.
· Attendance at call-outs for the management of emergency incidents involving specified assets.
Carry out other duties required
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
· Qualified to degree level or equivalent
· Knowledge oh highway asset management and an understanding of highway inspection and maintenance activities
· Awareness of RWSC, DMRB and SHW
· Understanding of Asset Management Systems
· Understanding of working in an HE Area type contract
· Experience in Windows server operating systems
· Proficient in the use of Microsoft Excel
· Current UK driving license
· Effective communicator
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Methodical and structured approach working individually or as part of a team
· Can take ownership and be accountable for own tasks
· Can work to deadlines