- To support the delivery of design and control of the design process. To ensure designs are delivered to meet the project requirements and CPS quality standards.
- Manage the coordination between different design teams / design organisations.
- Provide cost effective design solutions to maintain and/or improve the road assets to the standards agreed while considering the needs of key stakeholders.
- Maintain Design programmes to ensure schemes are delivered to programme and budget
- Identify Design resource requirements for schemes.
- Lead the management of Design produced outside of CPS.
- Prepare briefs, works instructions, designs fee estimates and clear deliverables for instructing work.
- Coordinate with the design team to contribute to the development and management of the design deliverables programme:
- Ensure there is a clear schedule of design deliverables.
- With the Project Manager, lead internal gateway reviews during the design phase to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each gateway.
- Lead the co-ordination and production of design data, bid deliverables, reports and documentation essential to the project and contractual requirements and report progress against the design deliverables programme.
- Support the development and implementation of design proposals, ensuring they meet customer requirements, including budget constraints, presenting proposals for approval to the customer. The design should deliver:
- Safety in construction and use.
- Quality within affordable parameters.
- Ease of maintenance, energy efficiency with minimum environmental impact.
- Innovation to meet customer goals and positive impact on the local community.
- Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the CPS Quality Management Processes and required levels of quality. Manage the design review process.
- Monitor and check designs and ensure they meet the brief and are delivered to programme and budget.
- Allocate tasks to other design disciplines and other members of the Highways team and monitor progress and costs.
- Seek innovation in the delivery of schemes and techniques used in design and construction.
- Provide professional and technical competence in highway engineering.
- Management of any 3rd parties or external design teams to ensure that they meet all customer specifications and where necessary, checking their competence and resources.
- Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities as required – such as Highway Authorities, Planning Authorities and statutory undertakers.
- Ensure the Principal Designer duties are met under CDM.
- Attend relevant community Forums to represent the Engineering Design team.
- Consider the application of Lean techniques to save money, reduce waste and optimise design and construction.
- Ensure that learning and best practice is captured from the project with the aim of sharing it across the business.
- Support and mentor junior and less experienced staff.
- Identify schemes that need to be included in the Five-Year Programme.
- Assist the Network Strategy Manager in developing new improvement schemes.
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values.
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
- Support the delivery of the business’ Sustainability activities.
- Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
- Relevant vocational qualifications (MEng/MSc/BEng/BSc/HNC and HND).
- Membership of an appropriate professional institution (ICE or IHT)
- Registered with the Engineering Council to at least IEng level
- Alternatively registered with the Engineering Council to IEng or CEng level or with good relevant experience and expecting to obtain IEng/CEng within 12 months from appointment.
- 5 days of CPD in last 12 months including 3 related to highway engineering
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other highway related design areas
- Experience in Highway Engineering and operating at a senior level.
- Proven experience of leading design teams and coordinating interfaces with other disciplines
- Proven experience in the design and construction of highway schemes.
- Detailed knowledge of codes of practice and other regulatory material is essential
- Competent in highway engineering with substantial post-qualification experience. Possesses an in-depth knowledge of Design Standards DMRB / MCDHW etc and a knowledge of HE procedures
- Experience of CDM Principal Designer role and knowledge of other H&S legislation
- Competent in exercising the Designer’s obligations of CDM
- CSCS Management, or Professionally qualified persons, or managers card
- Understanding of environmental requirements of highway schemes
- Knowledge of Highways England and Connect Plus Services procedures necessary to deliver a Highways project and advantage
- Knowledge of the use of computer design applications
- Excellent IT Skills relevant to Civil Engineering Design and programming are desirable and Microsoft Office is essential.
- Project management skills experience of Microsoft Project an advantage
- Knowledge of Quality Management and IMS
- Consultation experience with Highways England, Local Councils, Emergency Services and key stakeholders
- Licensed to drive in the UK or with reciprocal agreement.