Head of Health, Safety & Wellbeing
Connect Plus Services (CPS) is a joint venture contract made up of Balfour Beatty Civil Engineering, Atkins and Egis. The contract maintains and operates the M25 DBFO including surrounding roads on behalf of the Highways England and provides an excellent opportunity to work on one of the busiest networks in Europe .
To provide leadership and management to cover all aspects of Health, Safety and Wellbeing (HSW) services to support the effective and successful delivery of the HSW contract objectives.
- To lead in ensuring that HSW targets and standards are maintained by:
- Knowing what excellence looks like and communicating HSW with passion and credibility, in order to inspire, motivate and lead the business to achieve the vision
- Fostering a continuous improvement culture by actively seeking input from all members of the CPS Teams and encouraging them to implement HSW improvements
- Take a leading role with other CPS senior team members in developing and embedding the CPS business strategy
- Take a leading role with other CPS senior team members in developing excellent working relationships with Highways England and Connect Plus Senior Teams to improve performance and service to the customer:
- Lead, develop and coach individuals to build a high performing team and create a pipeline of talent
- To lead in ensuring a relentless focus on Zero Harm and wellbeing
- To provide assurance to JV Parent Companies that the business Health and Safety Management System is understood and complied with by all staff
- Provide advice, support and direction to contract HSES Managers/Advisors to enable them to support the CPS & Connect Plus (CP) teams in a coherent and co-ordinated manner.
- To Lead the HSW team in undertaking site engagement tours and inspections and audits of HSW to ensure compliance with the requirements of the BB Safety Management System
- To develop, maintain and promote the implementation of the Contract HSW Management Systems including the Project H&S Plan
- To develop and deliver suitable HSW training programmes for all project personnel (including routine contract inductions) in line with budget.
- To provide support and management of external audits and liaise to assist in the provision of corrective actions and closeout of audit findings
- To support the operations teams in investigating, reporting and identifying recommendations/ learnings from accidents and incidents
- To provide feedback to the Highways HSW Lead on the efficacy of the Safety Management System and make recommendations for improvement
- To lead the team in identifying the HSW competencies/certification required for staff and ensure these are delivered and maintained. Ensure that appropriate and auditable records are kept and maintained, monitor such records through audit and inspections
- To lead on the reviewing and advising on Method Statements and Risk Assessments both internally and from the Supply Chain
- To undertake the lead role on behalf of CPS & CP in communicating with Enforcing Authorities
- To contribute to internal and External working groups
- To support the delivery of the business’ Sustainability activities
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
- Experience and demonstrable key achievements in leading teams in highway maintenance, construction or a similar complex risk industry
- Excellent leadership skills, including experience of leading teams and confidence in the ability to lead, influence and communicate with others to deliver targets
- Experience of positively changing culture through leadership, coaching and mentoring at all levels within an organisation along with a focus on continuous improvement to maintain a positive HSW culture
- A relevant professional qualification, such as NEBOSH diploma or equivalent and corporate membership of IOSH is desirable
- Personal attributes:
- Ability to evaluate complex contract performance data
- A passion to be a visible driving force for HSW within the business
- An excellent team player able to lead, manage, influence and get the best from staff, clients and the supply chain