Highways Engineer (Pavements)
R - 14484
We have an opportunity for an experienced Highways Engineer (Pavements) to join our Design team based at Leatherhead.
The successful candidate will:
- Provide cost effective design solutions to maintain and/or improve the roads asset to the agreed standards while considering the needs of stakeholders. Deliver the Highways England and Connect Plus DBFO outcomes to programme and budget.
- Assist in managing resources in the Highways team to deliver the agreed outcomes.
- Assist in managing external resources to deliver the agreed outcomes.
- Agree briefs, programmes and budgets with the Principal/Senior Engineer and Design Manager/Project Manager.
- Report to the Senior/Principal Engineer on a bi-weekly basis on performance against budget and programme.
- Allocate tasks to other members of the Highways team and monitor progress and costs.
- Prepare briefs, designs, reports, specifications and other deliverables for highways schemes to budget and programme.
- Monitor and check designs and ensure they meet the brief.
- Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the expected levels of quality.
- Seek innovation in the delivery of schemes and techniques used in design and construction.
- Ensure the Integrated Management System is actively applied to all designs.
- Provide advice on highway design and standards.
- Provide professional and technical competence in highway engineering.
- Support and mentor junior and less experienced staff.
- Prepare Traffic Management Plans, Diversion Routes and organise Temporary Traffic Regulation Orders with HA and Local Councils.
- Identify pavement schemes that need to be included in the Five-Year Programme.
- Assist the Network Strategy Manager in the process to develop new Improvement schemes.
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values.
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
- Support the delivery of the business’ Sustainability activities
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
- Relevant vocational qualifications (MEng/MSc/BEng/BSc/HNC and HND).
- Membership, or working towards membership of an appropriate professional institution (ICE or CIHT).
- 5 days of CPD in last 12 months including 3 related to highway engineering.
- Project management skills.
- Recent experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Competent in highway engineering.
- Appropriate recent experience in highway engineering on Local Authority or the strategic high-speed network.
- Experience in the design and construction of UK highway schemes.
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other highway related design areas.
- Knowledge of design standards (DMRB / MCDHW/TSRGD etc.) relevant to highway engineering.
- Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation.
- Competent in exercising the Designer’s obligations of CDM.
- Hold appropriate CSCS card registration.
- Understanding of environmental requirements of highway schemes.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of the use of computer design applications and highway design software.
- Broad knowledge of Quality Management and IMS.
- Knowledge, design and drafting capabilities in AutoCAD.
- Knowledge of HA procedures.
- Consultation experience with Highways England, Local Councils, Emergency Services and key stakeholders
- Licensed to drive in the UK or with reciprocal agreement.