Mobile Apps Manager
Portfolio Management Office
IT systems/data analysis
Connect Plus Services (CPS) is a joint venture contract made up of Balfour Beatty, Atkins, and Egis. The contract maintains and operates the M25 and surrounding roads on behalf of the National Highways. This involves managing, inspecting, maintaining, and renewing 250,000 assets in a challenging safety-focused environment while meeting predefined business, contract, and asset performance targets.
To support the above activities, CPS has invested in an integrated asset management IT system (AgileAssets) and mobile app platform (Unity). These business-critical applications are continually being extended and enhanced in response to increasingly sophisticated business needs. In particular, there is a significant push for the increased adoption and development of mobile apps to support a wide range of operational activities undertaken on the network. Our apps are used extensively, and the connectivity to other business systems includes over 80 SQL-based interfaces. The business also uses other apps such as Esri Collector and QField.
We are seeking a Mobile Apps Manager to join our IT team. This is a very wide-ranging role and will be highly rewarding for an individual who wants to look after the mobile strategy for the business (working with senior managers) whilst also staying technically focused (taking on app development and enhancement).
There are four pillars to the role:
- Owning and setting the mobile strategy in harmony with the wider IT and business strategy
- Exploring and improving adoption to help CPS gain maximum benefit from our mobile capabilities
- Monitoring the day-to-day use of apps in the business and resolving support issues
- Enhancing existing apps and developing / configuring new apps. This includes the execution of the end-to-end software development lifecycle
Regarding the strategic side of the role, you will work with numerous stakeholders to formulate realistic strategic plans, and you will be confident in regularly presenting to senior management. Strong written and oral skills are essential, along with competence in Microsoft Office applications.
Regarding the technical side of the role, supporting, enhancing, and developing Unity apps requires a mix of configuration and coding using SQL, along with exceptional skills in tracing data flows by interrogating log files and using SQL. A computing aptitude test will be given as part of the recruitment process.
- Responsible for the success of the mobile apps in CPS, with a key focus on the Unity platform
- Set and maintain the strategy for mobile apps
- Monitor and drive the adoption of mobile apps
- Design, develop and test new mobile apps
- Support and enhance existing mobile apps
- Ensure data integrity is maintained between AgileAssets and Unity
- Train users on mobile apps, and help them to adopt and use them effectively
- Ensure system documentation is kept up to date as the system evolves
- Support the delivery of Connect Plus Services Sustainability activities
- At least 3 years’ experience of working in a complex software environment, preferably a mix of apps and integration with other business systems
- Application configuration experience are essential
- Exceptional SQL skills is essential
- A structured approach to testing your work is essential
- Strong logic, numeracy, and analytical skills
- Strong on data models, databases, data flows, and scripting
- Highly organised, attention to detail, and uses initiative to maintain momentum
- Excellent interpersonal and team working skills
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Flexible, patient, determined, motivated and able to persevere in challenging situations
- MS Office (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint)