Health, safety and wellbeing
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe – the M25.
We are looking for an Occupational Hygienist to join us to work in South Mimms.
- To contribute to the management of work-related health risks within Balfour Beatty Highways by undertaking inspections, training, survey work and promoting good occupational hygiene practice;
- Please note this role is negotiable to be full or part time hours.
What you’ll be doing
As an Occupational Hygienist, your main accountabilities will be as follows:
- Undertake site Inspections to identify and provide advice on health-related risks;
- To help deliver induction and awareness training on health-based issues and in time the Certificate in Controlling Health Risks in Construction (CCHRC) BOHS course;
- To undertake exposure surveys for dust, fumes, vapours and gases and prepare subsequent reports, containing control measure recommendations when necessary;
- To assist in assessing workers exposure to noise and provide suggestions to reduce such exposure;
- To support risk assessments for Hand Arm Vibration (HAV) and Whole Body Vibration (WBV) and to recommend control measures in line with the hierarchy of control and Balfour Beatty policy.
Who we’re looking for
The following personal qualities and experience are required:
- Working towards or, have recently obtained the BOHS Certificate of Operational Competence in Occupational Hygiene;
- Have achieved at least three OHLearning/BOHS W500 modules, preferably: W501 Measurement of Hazardous Substances; W505 Control of Hazardous Substances; W503 Measurement and Control of Noise; or equivalent qualification/s;
- Experience of the application of good occupational hygiene practice;
- An understanding of the causes of occupational ill health and preventative strategies;
- Good knowledge of the UK Health & Safety Regulatory framework and legislation pertaining to occupational health risks.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers’ Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.