Principal Pavement Engineer
Atkins, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operations UK are part of a consortium, creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
We are currently recruiting for the role of Principal Pavement Engineer (Design) to provide cost effective design solutions to maintain and/or improve the roads asset to the agreed standards while considering the needs of stakeholders. Deliver the Highways England and Connect Plus DBFO outcomes to programme and budget.
- Lead the design of pavements schemes on the M25.
- Managing resources in the Highways team to deliver the agreed outcomes.
- Managing external resources to deliver the agreed outcomes.
- Approve briefs, programmes and budgets produced by the team, for pavement schemes.
- Report to the Senior/Principal Engineer on a bi-weekly basis on performance against budget and programme.
- Allocate tasks to members of the Highways team and monitor progress and costs.
- Monitor and check designs and ensure they meet the brief.
- Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the expected levels of quality.
- Seek innovation in the delivery of schemes and techniques used in design and construction.
- Ensure the Integrated Management System is actively applied to all designs.
- Provide technical advice on pavement design and standards across the business.
- Provide professional and technical competence in highway engineering.
- Support and mentor junior and less experienced staff.
- Identify pavement schemes that need to be included in the Five-Year Programme and liaise with the Asset team on overall pavement strategy.
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values.
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
- Support the delivery of the business’ Sustainability activities.
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
- Relevant vocational qualifications (MEng/MSc/BEng/BSc/HNC and HND).
- Membership, of an appropriate professional institution (ICE or CIHT).
- Certified pavement Engineer as per CD 266
- 5 days of CPD in last 12 months including 3 related to highway engineering.
- Design management skills.
- Competent in pavement engineering.
- Appropriate recent experience in highway engineering on Local Authority or the strategic high-speed network.
- Experience in the design and construction of UK highway schemes.
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other highway related design areas.
- Knowledge of design standards (DMRB / MCDHW/TSRGD etc.) relevant to highway engineering.
- Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation.
- Competent in exercising the Designer’s obligations of CDM.
- Hold appropriate CSCS card registration.
- Understanding of environmental requirements of highway schemes.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Knowledge of the use of computer design applications and highway design software.
- Broad knowledge of Quality Management and IMS.
- Knowledge of Highways England standard and procedures.
- Licensed to drive in the UK or with reciprocal agreement.