Senior Highways Technology Engineer
Project & Asset
Atkins, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operations UK are part of a consortium, creating Connect Plus Services, a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways asset care from finance, through to design, build, maintenance as well as day to day operation.
- Provide cost effective design solutions to maintain, renew or improve the Highways England technology assets to the standards agreed and considering the needs of key stakeholders.
- Develop the use of new, innovative and value driven technology solutions across the M25 road network and CPS’ broad work scope. Deliver the outcomes agreed by Highways England and Connect Plus DBFO Co. to programme, budget and ‘best in class’ standards.
- Manage resources within technology, highways and other design or support disciplines to deliver the agreed outcomes.
- Manage external resources to deliver the agreed outcomes.
- Report on resourcing issues and contribute information to allow a forward resource plan to be produced and maintained.
- Agree the briefs, programmes and budgets with the Design Manager/Project Manager or client.
- Allocate tasks to other design disciplines and monitor progress and costs.
- Prepare briefs, works instructions, designs, fee estimates, reports, specifications and other deliverables for highways schemes to budget and programme.
- Ensure designs are appropriate and meet the expected levels of quality.
- Monitor and check designs and supplier proposals ensure they meet the brief. Manage/approve technology designs and associated implementation and commissioning in line with DMRB standards and protocols.
- Conceive, lead and manage innovation in technology schemes and techniques used in inspection, design, construction, maintenance and renewals/de-commissioning. Keep a watching brief on Highways England Innovation programmes and industry best practice.
- Ensure the Integrated Management System (IMS) is actively applied to all designs.
- Deliver large complex highway schemes (or several smaller schemes) to programme and budget.
- Allocate tasks to other supporting members of the team and oversee delivery and report on resourcing issues.
- Provide professional and technical competence and mentoring in all aspects of Technology related highway and tunnel systems engineering.
- Report on a bi-weekly basis to the Design Manager on performance against budget and programme.
- Identify schemes/opportunities that need to be included in the Five Year Programme.
- Assist the Network Strategy and Technology Managers in the proposals process.
- Live the Connect Plus Services Values.
- Ensure a relentless focus on Zero Harm.
- Support the delivery of the business’ Sustainability activities.
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
- Good first engineering or science degree or higher with relevant professional qualifications, e.g. membership of professional body such as IET, ICE, or similar and ongoing CPD.
- Detailed knowledge of design codes relevant to resilient technology / highway design (DMRB/MCDHW/TSRGD etc), use of appropriate computer design applications and BIM.
- Demonstrable experience of driving design, design and construction solutions and innovation in the Technology sphere as applied to highway engineering, on Local Authority or the strategic high speed network sectors.
- An inspiring engineer, interpersonally strong, with energy & drive and a ‘hands on approach’ to end:end project delivery and management, ensuring interdisciplinary awareness and coordination between colleagues, supply chain and Highways England.
- A track record of success in a ‘R&D engineering’ covering functions such as Technology/ Systems, highway management and M&E environments. Knowledge and experience of generating innovations, pilot projects and ideally funding streams from Highways England, Innovate UK, Horizons 2020, Research Councils UK or other R&D funding streams.
- Technically creative and strong with project management experience – keen to promote resilience in Technology Service levels, plus new technologies and ways of working in a demanding environment which includes closely managed asset whole life performance and cost constraints.
- Technology design, implementation, commissioning and hand-over to Operations. Management experience and coordinating interfaces with other disciplines.
- Broad skills, knowledge and understanding of other highway related design areas including environmental/sustainability requirements.
- Ability to develop and share expertise and experience as well as supporting development of new propositions/services.
- Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation.
- Competent in exercising the Designer’s obligations of CDM.
- Broad knowledge of Quality Management & IMS.
- Hold appropriate CSCS card registration.
- Licensed to drive in the UK or with reciprocal agreement.
- Ability to travel around the M25 network with occasional trips around the UK Europe is essential.