Senior Structural Engineer
Management and provision of cost-effective design solutions to maintain or improve the M25 highways asset to the standards agreed and considering the needs of key stakeholders.
Deliver the outcomes agreed with the Highways England and Connect Plus DBFO Co. to programme and budget, and to meet CPS quality standards.
Management and supervision of engineers within the structures design team and to coordinate between design, asset and PM teams and organisations (HE SES).
· Manage internal design resources within Design Team to deliver agreed outcomes, scope, on time and to budget.
· Manage external framework design suppliers to deliver agreed outcomes, scope, on time and to budget.
· Work with the Connect Plus Services (CPS) Asset Team to agree achievable Asset Management Forward Plans.
· Develop and agree briefs with the design team and design suppliers, to cover scope, budget and programme, and to obtain agreement from Asset head for the same.
· Prepare and submit instructions to design suppliers.
· Monitor, review and check deliverables from external designers to ensure that designs are complete and compliant prior submission to Highways England through the Review Process.
· Manage and provide advice on the Design Review Process.
· Ensure that all designs meet the quality standards required by the DBFO contract and CPS internal standards.
· Work with the Project Manager to lead the internal gateway reviews during the design phase to ensure that they are timely and appropriate sign off is achieved at each gateway.
· Lead and undertake the in-house design of selected structural packages.
· Undertake and manage optioneering and feasibility of design solutions and preparation of whole life costing.
· Preparation and review of contract documentation
· Provide professional and technical leadership and mentoring in structural engineering.
· Manage design team and supplier costs and budget and review supplier invoices for payment.
· Liaise with Highways England and DN on structural technical issues and submissions.
· Liaise internally with other teams within Connect Plus (CP) and CPS as required.
· Liaise with all statutory bodies/authorities as required – such as Highway Authorities, Planning Authorities and statutory undertakers.
· Report to the project manager on performance against budget and programme
· Lead innovation and continual improvement in the delivery of schemes and techniques used in design and construction.
· Development of in-house design capability and continuous improvement of processes and deliverables.
· Ensure that learning and best practice is captured from the project with the aim of sharing it across the business.
· Deputise for line manager as required
· Manage and support design of relat
Qualifications/ skills/ experience:
· Relevant vocational qualifications (MEng/MSc/BEng/BSc/HNC and HND).
· Membership of an appropriate professional institution (ICE or MIStructE IHT)
· Alternatively registered with the Engineering Council to IEng or CEng level or with good relevant experience and expecting to obtain IEng/CEng within 12 months from appointment.
· 5 days of CPD in last 12 months including 3 related to highway engineering
· Competent in Highway Structural Design and Assessment
· Asset Management experience an advantage
· Broad skills, knowledge/understanding of other highway related design areas
· Knowledge of CDM and other H&S legislation
· Competent in exercising the Designer’s duties and the Principal Designer duties under CDM
· Hold appropriate CSCS card registration
· Broad understanding of environmental requirements of highway schemes
· Broad knowledge of Quality Management and IMS
· Knowledge of the use of computer design applications
· Excellent IT Skills relevant to Civil Engineering Design and Microsoft Office is essential. Experience of Microsoft Project an advantage
· Knowledge of design and assessment standards (DMRB / MCDHW /Eurocodes etc.) relevant to structures.
· Knowledge of Highways England approvals procedures
· Knowledge of structural design software
· Consultation experience with Highways England, Local Councils, Emergency Services and key stakeholders is an advantage
· Experienced in leading a design team, managing a design portfolio and coordinating interfaces with other disciplines
· Relevant experience in operating at a senior level.
· Knowledge of the Traffic Signs Manual Chapter 8
· Licensed to drive in the UK or with reciprocal agreement
· Project management and team building skills.
· Ability to develop relationships and engender trust at all levels of the Connect Plus Services organisation and with Clients
· Excellent Communication skills