Tunnel Maintenance Technician
About the role
Balfour Beatty has an exciting opportunity for a Tunnel Maintenance Technician to join our Highways team to work in Hatfield.
To assist in the efficient operation of the M25 Tunnels by undertaking maintenance and other tasks as required by the Maintenance Manager/Supervisor
What you’ll be doing
As a Tunnel Maintenance Technician, you will have the following accountabilities:
- Reporting to the Maintenance Supervisor;
- To be conversant with the operation of all electrical/mechanical plant, within the Dartford River Crossing and other M25 Tunnels, under normal and emergency conditions and be capable of operating systems under local or remote control;
- When authorised, to carry out switching on Connect Plus Services 11kV System;
- Complete switching schedules prior to any HV switching works;
- Responsible for safe electrical isolations carried out on site;
- To be able to carry out Planned Maintenance and defect repair work on a range of electrical equipment which includes Switchgear, Transformers, Pumps, Fans, VSDs, lighting and associated control gear;
- To complete any records as required, including daily worksheets, and maintenance report sheets;
- To read drawings and carry out fault finding and repairs without supervision;
- To carry out all type of Civil, Electrical and Mechanical Maintenance work within the capacity of an Maintenance Technician with or without direct supervision;
- Carry out any work of a manual, semi-skilled or skilled nature of any type of trade description (including out of trade work) under the instructions of the Maintenance Supervisor;
- Drive vehicles as required, for maintenance purposes;
- Ensure that all relevant Health & Safety requirements are met and safe working practices are adopted at all times;
- Ensure that vehicles, plant and equipment are available and maintained for safe operational use;
- Ensure that routine vehicle checks and drivers hours books are completed in accordance with company procedures;
- Attend incidents and work safely in accordance with policies to facilitate the early clear up of hazard/incident.
Who we’re looking for
You will have the following qualities and experience:
- Good customer service skills;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- A confident and professional manner;
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels;
- Ability to work collaboratively in a complex matrix structure;
- Team player;
- A clear and thorough communication style;
- To observe all safety procedures and instructions;
- Recognised Electrical Apprenticeship
- Relevant qualifications e.g. City & Guilds;
- 18th Edition of the IET Wiring Regulations;
- Authorised Person an advantage;
- Card holder or training will be provided if required;
- Confined spaces training;
- Inspection & Testing C&G 2391;
- CSCS / ECS Card;
- Qualify as an Approved Person under the BB ESSW requirement for HV and LV work;
- Knowledge and experience of generators and switchgear to 11KV;
- Fault finding using schematic drawings;
- All round experience in Electrical/Electronic/Mechanical Maintenance;
- Knowledge of current Health & Safety legislation;
- Ability to carry out electrical installation work to current legislation;
- Previous Road Tunnels or Building Maintenance
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Our Highways Business Unit maintain, manage and operate major highway networks across the UK and support local authorities creating communities where people want to live, work and play.
We provide high quality asset strategy, management and planning consultancy services to a wide range of public and private sector customers. We also provide specialist, reliable, sustainable and creative advice for asset management planning and implementation in the UK.
We create safe, flexible and dynamic public spaces. We are right at the heart of a vital place-shaping agenda that brings together local authorities, local communities, central government and the private sector.
The essential work is to keep daily life moving!
We value diversity and celebrate individual differences, believing that our inclusive culture helps the business continue to grow as a strong, dynamic and innovative organisation.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering) and a member of Stonewall’s Diversity Champions programme. Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers’ Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.