Tunnel M & E Engineer
Mechanical & Electrical
Work in a small team of professionals to look after key assets that form part of the Highways
England road network around the nationally important M25 infrastructure.
Provide M&E skills to support the asset management of tunnel M&E and technology assets in the Bell Common, Hatfield, Holmesdale and Dartford East and West tunnels and across the M25 DBFO contract project road.
Your work will involve assessing the condition of assets and planning and specifying renewal and maintenance works to optimise asset service life and performance within contract constraints.
- Ensure M&E assets are properly recorded in asset databases and fully documented; audit and keep records up to date to make sure they satisfy safety and technical needs.
- Develop asset management best practices and processes for the M&E assets in line with ISO 55001.
- Coordinate and carry out tunnel M&E inspections to annual deadlines.
- Prepare M&E General and Principal Inspection reports for tunnels – collate and track ensuing actions to address faults.
- Assess the condition and performance of plant and systems based on physical survey and data analysis and make recommendations for maintenance and renewal –present these in asset forward plans covering the next 30 years.
- Prepare specifications for new and renewal M&E works with emphasis on whole life value.
- Work with consultants to develop designs – ensure adequacy for subcontractor procurement and delivery on site.
- Work with sub-contractors to assess proposals and deliver detail design and construction M&E works to quality, time and budget.
- Review and approve Factory Acceptance Test (FAT) and Site Acceptance Test (SAT) regimes for new and renewed plant and systems.
- Contribute to high standards of Health, Safety and Welfare with particular attention to improving design for maintenance.
- Electrical / mechanical engineer with degree qualification or equivalent demonstrable capabilities gained through experience.
- Knowledge of electrical and mechanical design codes.
- Knowledge of The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations
- Ability to draft technical specifications for mechanical / electrical plant and associated systems (renewal of existing or new items).
- Commercially aware, with an appreciation of contract and sub-contract arrangements (preferably familiar with the NEC forms of contract).
- Ability to assess and analyse the condition of plant and systems both in the field and from performance data – have a good eye for detail.
- Capable of scoping and coordinating field survey and inspection work, preparing and presenting reports on findings.
- Able to travel between sites around the M25 and adjacent motorways and all purpose trunk roads and carry out work during night-time road closures (limited occasions driven by annual cycles of inspection and the need for asset surveys/ investigations.
- Able to work effectively as an individual and as part of a team and possess good written and oral communication skills.
- Able to build rapport with stakeholders and relationships quickly.
- Be flexible and adaptable and be able to plan and prioritise.
This role may require security clearance and offers of employment will be dependent on obtaining the relevant level of clearance. If this is necessary it will be discussed with you at interview. If applying to this role please do not make reference to (in conversation) or include in your application or CV, details of any current or previously held security clearance.