Senior Quantity Surveyor
About the role
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of the team that manages and improves one of the busiest motorways in Europe – the M25.
We are looking for a Senior Quantity Surveyor to join us to work in Dartford.
- To ensure commercial & contractual control and co-ordination of the efforts of all parties involved in the execution of a specified project or range of projects;
- To provide guidance to other members of the Commercial/Quantity Surveying team and Project Directors/Managers on all aspects relating to commercial activity on a specified project or range of projects;
- To develop and maintain symbiotic working relationships with members of the Finance, Procurement, Planning and Operational communities;
- In conjunction with the Operational and Procurement Teams manage Sub-Contract Supply chain members.
What you’ll be doing
As a Senior Quantity Surveyor you will:
- Ensure all duties are carried out in accordance with standard company QHSE procedures and work instructions;
- Be accountable for the activities of any directly reporting quantity surveying staff, including mentoring junior members of the team, and provide advice and guidance to other members of the team and to Connect Plus Services Directors/Managers, as required;
- In conjunction with the relevant Management team member, be accountable for the profitability of the project(s), and develop an appropriate commercial strategy for the project(s) to ensure delivery of required margins;
- Contribute to the management and maintenance of a contract cost reporting system, ensuring all financial information is managed and up-to-date and tracked with budget/tender allowances, commitments and deviations highlighted and managed;
- With other members of the team, produce and provide accurate forecasts of project cost to completion and final value;
- Continually monitor projected costs to completion in line with budget.
Who we’re looking for
Personal Qualities and Experience:
- Sound working knowledge of construction and contract law and various forms of Conditions of Contract;
- Detailed knowledge and understanding of tendering and procurement processes;
- Significant knowledge of construction techniques on particular projects;
- Ability to apply the knowledge and principles of commercial management to a highways business;
- Working knowledge of basic plant, equipment and materials;
- Knowledge and understanding of sub-contracting principles, together with the ability to draft and administer sub contracts;
- Ability to implement procedures to quantify and cost construction works, including the use of appropriate standard methods of measurement;
- Understanding of the requirements to provide and obtain Insurance, Bonds and Warranties;
- Proficiency in administration, writing, numeracy, IT and MS Office;
- People management skills, with the ability to build effective relationships at all levels;
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and on own initiative;
- Enthusiasm and results focus, with an ability to work well under pressure and to tight deadlines;
- Effective negotiation skills with both internal and external customers.
Why work for us
Day in, day out, our teams deliver amazing projects in challenging conditions; developing, managing and maintaining the vital infrastructure and public spaces that modern economies, societies and communities rely on.
Balfour Beatty is part of a consortium that comprises Connect Plus Services (CPS), together with Atkins and Egis Road Operations UK.
CPS has a 30-year contract with Connect Plus on behalf of Highways England. The contract, which started in September 2009, is to maintain and operate the M25 motorway network, including all adjoining trunk and slip roads, a network of 440km across six counties. CPS also has responsibility for the Dartford River Crossing in Kent, comprising both Dartford Tunnels and the Queen Elizabeth II Bridge.
With a staff of around 600 people, based at seven locations across the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance and whole-life management of the thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme. CPS is identifying ways of reducing delays and improving journey time reliability across its road network.
Balfour Beatty is a corporate signatory to WISE (Women in Science & Engineering). Our aim is to attract more people from diverse backgrounds to help us build on our inclusive culture. We are a member of the workingmums.co.uk Top Employers’ Charter through which we demonstrate our commitment to enabling parents to progress and enhance their careers whilst managing the challenges of family life.
Balfour Beatty is also Gold Award holders in the Ministry of Defence ‘Employer Recognition Scheme’ and actively encourage applications from Armed Forces personnel, veterans and reservists.