The Structures Asset comprises over 2600 individual highway structures ranging from small span structures to the QEII Bridge at the Dartford River Crossing.
The role of Structures Inspector will include the planning, delivery and reporting of Highways Structures Inspections including Bridges, Culverts, Retaining Walls, Gantries and High Masts. This will include Principal, General and Special Inspections plus other safety critical and condition inspections as required by the M25 DBFO contract
• Managing and planning their own programmes of work including Principal Inspections, General Inspections and Special Inspections throughout the network to specific timeframes and published requirements.
• Liaising with the Roadspace Co-ordinator to ensure roadspace, traffic management and access arrangements are in place.
• Developing Desktop Studies of structures to provide specific methodologies for inspections including inventory and defect reviews, access requirements and constraints and general reviews of methodologies and procedures.
• Development and review of structures specific Work Package Plans including Risk Assessments and Method Statements for inspections.
• Carrying out inspections and recording information to best practise in accordance with the requirements of the M25 DBFO Contract, The Inspection Manual for Highway Structures, CS-450 and bespoke guidelines. Support Engineering team in management of critical defects identified in inspections.
• Flexible working hours prepared to undertake night working or irregular hours for the delivery of inspections. Attendance at callouts for the management of emergency incidents involving specified assets
• Support in the application of risk-based principles and use of new technology in inspections.
• Reporting of inspections into the M25 Asset Management System including use of mobile inspection applications during inspections.
• Collaboration with Scheme and Service Delivery Teams in planning of the delivery of inspections and surveys.
Skills & Experience:
• BICS (Bridge Inspector Competency Scheme) qualified or approaching submission stage of developed portfolio (Full accreditation under the Bridge Inspector Competency Scheme at Inspector or Senior Inspector preferred).
• Proven relevant experience in structural inspections.
• Full knowledge and understanding of the latest National Highways inspection codes plus The Inspection Manual for Highway Structures.
• Good understanding of Health and Safety and hold a valid CSCS card (desirable).
• Certification for Confined Spaces, IPAF, PASMA, PTS desirable (training/support will be provided).
• Knowledge and experience of the Highways England IAMIS database and Bridge Management Systems (desirable).
• Current UK driving license
CPS is a joint Venture project with Balfour Beatty, AtkinsRéalis and Egis Road Operations UK. We operate and maintain the M25.
The M25 is the busiest section of motorway in Europe and requires careful and efficient planning of work in order to deliver over £100m of annual investment in the highway infrastructure each year, in addition to planned and reactive maintenance activity.
If you have or are looking for a career in Highways, working on the M25 will give you experience and challenge that no other highways project can offer.