Complex abnormal load movement for Mammoet and National Grid proves another success for Connect Plus Services
Connect Plus Services recently enabled the seamless movement of a 250-tonne abnormal load across the Dartford-Thurrock River Crossing, on behalf of Mammoet and National Grid. The move required expert planning by the CPS Abnormal Loads team, in collaboration with the Network Occupancy and Structures Teams, ahead of the Super Grid Transformer making its way on the M25 network from the Port of Tilbury to the Chessington Substation in Southwest London.
The collaboration between the CPS Abnormal Loads team, Essex Police, Sussex Police, Highways England and customer, Mammoet, was vital in ensuring that the oversized load arrived at its destination safely, on time and with minimal disruption to road users.
Particular care and attention were paid to the Dartford Crossing due to the weight and size of the load, which totalled 67-metres long and 6-metres wide. Throughout the movement, CPS’s expert team of engineers were on site to monitor the bridge structure, whilst Incident Support Units were mobilised to assist with escorting the load.
Rob Bailey, Routing Logistic Coordinator at Mammoet, said: “A massive thank you for all your help this weekend with the abnormal load move from Tilbury to Chessington Sub-station. Feedback from our crew on the day, said that a fantastic job was done by all parties involved, with total professionalism, allowing the operation to go smoothly.”
Susana Nevese e Brookes, Lead Project Manager at National Grid, said: “On the evening of the 19th of June whilst in attendance to see the Super Grid Transformer cross the QEII Bridge, I had the opportunity to meet two members of the Connect Plus Services Team that had been involved with the planning of this event. They were both present to see and photograph the Transformer making the journey across the bridge. It was great to see their level of enthusiasm and engagement, equivalent to those in my team involved with this Project. I would like to extend the Thank You on behalf of National Grid to the Connect Plus Team for the great work you do to enable the movement of our Super Grid Transformers.”
Louise Haining, CPS Asset and Project Delivery Director said: “We were delighted to facilitate Mammoet and National Grid with the movement of the 250-tonne Super Grid Transformer. This was a complex move, which required our collective knowledge of the network and experience to effectively plan and carry out the movement.
The CPS Network Occupancy team processed over 50,000 abnormal loads movements, including special orders last year on the M25 network. The network provides an essential transport link for the distribution of goods and services, whilst also keeping to our primary objective of delivering a safe and serviceable network for all."
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25