Connect Plus Services celebrates International Women’s Day 2023
International Women’s Day is celebrated annually on 8th March and is a global day dedicated to celebrating the social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women.
This year’s awareness day recognises the powerful theme of ‘Embracing Equity’. This is a message to drive worldwide understanding of why equal opportunities aren't enough. People start from different places, so true inclusion and belonging require equitable action.
CPS encourages everyone to challenge gender stereotypes, call out discrimination, draw attention to bias, and seek out inclusion.
CPS is committed to equality and breaking any bias in the industry. Through work with our ED&I team, we continue to raise awareness, continue the conversation and host events to encourage discussion at every opportunity.
Two of our own inspirational women at CPS have additionally spent time discussing their experiences and advice.
Maryann Ofiaja, Project Manager at CPS, describes how International Women’s Day is crucial in celebrating women’s achievements across all spheres of life, as well as to create awareness on gender inequality, bias and discrimination whilst embracing diversity and inclusion.
She continued to explain that diversity is essential in promoting inclusivity where everyone feels represented in the workplace. Having varied views, ideas and approaches is hugely positive.
Maryann said: ‘we need to continue to raise awareness until all forms of gender inequality are eliminated. To continually keep in the limelight women’s achievements and contributions to social, economic, cultural and political affairs.’
Her advice to women considering a career in the industry is to ‘don’t be put off by the industry being male dominated, women can make a difference. There are a huge number of mentors and role models to support you. Believe in yourself and have a can-do attitude!’
Natia Sikhuashvili, Graduate Project Manager at CPS, describes how International Women’s Day is important to celebrate women’s achievements ‘’across every aspect.
Natia said: ‘I strongly believe that diversity enhances creativity, also its leading to better decision making and problem solving. Everyone sees the world in a different way and everyone has different knowledge, perspectives and points of view. When these different views are shared together, the impossible becomes possible.’
Natia’s advice for other women considering a career in the industry is to ‘believe in yourself and be confident. There are no limits to our capabilities!’
Moreen Achan, IT Project Manager at CPS, describes International Women’s Day as very important to celebrate as ‘we have come a long way as women and fought a very long battle to be where we are.’
Moreen said: ‘Diversity is extremely important in the workplace because when a workplace values diversity, everyone is treated equally according to their own individual preferences and needs. This promotes inclusiveness and allows individuals to feel comfortable, respected and valued.’
Moreen’s advice to any women considering a career in the industry is to ‘take the step, make it work and don’t ever look back. This industry has a lot to offer and it’s not only for men.’
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25