Connect Plus Services continues engagement with local schools
Connect Plus Services (CPS) regularly works with local communities to educate young people on the varied career opportunities available in the engineering industry.
The past month has been no exception, with a number of engagement activities taking place. Emily Catt, CPS Environmental Assistant, visited the Dartford Bridge Primary School to talk to Year 6 pupils about her role and the importance of looking after the environment. The children were particularly curious about wildlife in the area and how CPS protects local species and habitats while work takes place around the network.
Leigh University Technical College also visited CPS’ Dartford depot to learn about Connect Plus Services’ role on the strategic road network. Talks and demonstrations included a focus on the different vehicles needed to carry out work and the ‘over-height’ and ‘over-dimension’ technology used in the tunnels.
In January, Abbey Featherstone, Business Improvement Lead, and Alana Murphy, Operations and Maintenance Manager, visited Therfield School in Leatherhead for their Careers Fair to speak to the pupils about Connect Plus Services, the industry and the opportunities on offer.
Abbey said: “We spoke to many children and most of them were surprised at the number of people working for CPS and the variety of the work we do.”
Working with the next generation is essential in helping to close the construction skills gap. Engaging with local communities also provides the opportunity to build trust and understanding with our neighbours, showcasing the maintenance and operations required to keep the M25 running.
Looking ahead, Connect Plus Service will also be attending the Year 8 Career Options Event at the Wilmington Academy in March.
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25