Connect Plus Services feature in BBC4 documentary – The Hidden Wilds of the Motorway
Connect Plus Services Operations and Maintenance Manager for the North East Quadrant, Carl Snell, recently appeared in BBC4 documentary, The Hidden Wilds of the Motorway, to provide an insight into the essential works carried out on the M25 network to ensure it remains safe and serviceable for the millions of vehicles using the network each day.
The documentary features author and naturalist, Helen Macdonald, embarking on a clockwise loop around London’s orbital motorway - searching for hidden wildness and natural beauty bordering the M25.
The documentary explores the importance of motorway verges in providing sanctuaries for insects, animals and fungi, all of which can benefit from the unique environments that these verges offer. In addition to many surprising finds, the piece investigates whether nature can provide insights into driver behaviour and whether taking inspiration from fungi can subsequently reduce congestion when incidents occur.
Helen also discusses with Carl the variety of important works undertaken on the network, and how detailed planning is carried out so that works can be delivered as efficiently as possible, before the road is fully reopened to the travelling public in the morning.
The M25 team are committed to protecting and enhancing habitats for wildlife bordering the network, with the CPS environment team working continuously to implement environmental initiatives ranging from bee banks to species rich grasslands around the M25.
Catch up on the documentary on BBC iPlayer here.
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25