Connect Plus Services joins Great British September Clean campaign
Connect Plus Services (CPS) was proud to join the country’s biggest mass participation environmental campaign in September, the Great British September Clean. Throughout the two-week campaign, the CPS teams collected over two thousand bags of litter from the M25 Network.
Each year, around 35,000 bags of litter are collected from the M25 network. This poses a risk to wildlife and the environment, as well as putting maintenance crews at risk when collecting discarded items.
Highways England has also supported the campaign and urged drivers to clean up their act as it reported that around 200,000 bags of litter are collected from the motorway network each year.
Highways England’s head of customer and operational requirements Freda Rashdi said: “The simple fact is that if litter wasn’t dropped in the first place it wouldn’t need to be picked up. Litter is not only unsightly and a risk to wildlife and the environment, but it also puts our workers at risk collecting it and it diverts time and money that could be better spent on improving the network.
“Litter is an important national issue and we’re pleased to be able to support the Great British September Clean arranging extra litter picks to coincide with the campaign and by urging people to take their litter home.”
This campaign, traditionally known as the Great British Spring Clean, was postponed to September due to the Coronavirus pandemic, and usually takes place during Spring to coincide with the Keep Britain Tidy initiative. Initiatives such as these are designed to inspire people to eliminate litter now and for future generations.
Find out how you can get involved in your local community by clicking here.
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25