Harnessing the power of digital on the M25
Andy Dean, CEO of Connect Plus, shares his thoughts on the future of digital innovation on Western Europe’s busiest road, the M25, in the latest edition of Civil Engineering Surveyor Magazine.
In the piece, he discusses the benefits of creating a highways digital twin through the use of unmanned aerial systems (UAS) to enhance the driving experience of those using the network, improve the safety of our teams and reduce our environmental impact. Andy also talks about the digital revolution that is taking place across the M25 network and how it has transformed the organisation’s operations.
Discussing the decision to deploy Sensat’s fixed-wing unmanned aerial systems (UAS) to produce highly accurate, geo-referenced 2D and 3D in one single source of truth (SSOT), Andy said:
“Working together we covered 120 miles of highway, consisting of over 23 billion data points and captured 85,000 high-resolution images. Utilising the accuracy of UAS photogrammetry, which allows for levels of spatial accuracy to within 25mm, we are now able to collaboratively share reliable, consistent and up-to-date asset information that can used to take remote measurements.”
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25