M25 Community discuss innovation on the M25 network in New Civil Engineer
The M25 Community recently featured in New Civil Engineer, alongside Highways England, discussing the innovative 50% recycled asphalt trials currently taking place on the M25 network.
In the interview, the team discuss how together with Highways England, they are breaking down barriers in terms of reusing material in greater quantities on the Strategic Road Network (SRN).
This innovative approach is not simply about innovation, it’s also about successful collaboration between clients and contractors, which is at the heart of the M25 Community.
In the piece, Quintin Viljoen, CPS Professional Head of Pavements, explains that current specifications limit recycled aggregates to 10%, but raising that number is a key part of Connect Plus’ sustainable development action plan.
David O’Sullivan, framework manager for M25 pavement renewal at Skanska, adds: ““We have a high standard of as-built information on the M25 and what we’re looking at is working with our supply chain to develop a system where we move away from recycling road planings at a low value and recognise and use it as a high value resource. We want it to become more business as usual rather than something unusual.”
The team involved in the implementation and continued monitoring of this trial comprise Connect Plus, Connect Plus Services, Highways England, FM Conway, Skanska, Toppesfield & Atkins.
To find out more about how the M25 community are innovating on the M25 network, you can read the article in full here.
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25