M25 reclaimed asphalt trial in Asset Magazine
Reducing the carbon footprint of the M25 network is crucial to the Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services Asset Management strategy. One element is through increased recycling of high-quality materials already available on the network.
Asphalt resurfacing is a major carbon footprint contributor and is often required in maintaining the network. Recently a collaborative project by Connect Plus, Connect Plus Services, Atkins, Skanska, Toppesfield and FM Conway trialled an innovative installation of a new surface course using 50% reclaimed asphalt (RA).
RA is a road surfacing material made by recycling old asphalt surface and incorporating them into new ones. Collaboratively the team were able to source suitable materials and complete the extensive processing and testing needed to introduce the first ever 50% RA surface on the network.
The results were resoundingly positive. On top of the 58% carbon output reduction, the new surface has significantly reduced the amount of primary resources needed.
We were especially proud to win in the 2021 Institute of Asset Management (IAM) Excellence Awards in the category of Sustainability and Climate Impact. In the summer edition of IAM magazine, more detail on the trial is featured.
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- Over 10 years ago, Highways England awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25