Shell and Connect Plus join forces to accelerate decarbonisation of road building in the UK
Connect Plus has signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with Shell, to develop and deploy solutions and technologies to decarbonise road paving in the UK by extending the life of pavements.
Shell and Connect Plus share a perspective that collaboration across the highways and construction value chain is necessary for the decarbonisation of the sector. By working together, the companies will aim to unlock new and innovative solutions and practices to help improve road performance and encourage progress towards a net-zero road paving industry.
The agreement will see the companies explore solutions to extend the pavement life of the M25 or London Orbital Motorway, the second longest orbital road in Europe.
As part of the agreement, Connect Plus will trial Shell Cariphalte AgeSafe, Shell’s new polymer-modified bitumen product that increases the lifespan of roads. The companies will also work together to understand road surface texture development, explore alternate pavement design strategies, and develop pavement failure models from field measurements relevant to the UK.
The agreement between Shell and Connect Plus will begin immediately to enable us to start delivering progress on the decarbonisation of road paving in the UK.
Notes to Editors
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- In 2009, National Highways awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 700 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Since the start of the project, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25