Improvement works at Pinks Hill now complete
Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services are pleased to announce that the works they have been carrying out on behalf of National Highways at the Pinks Hill balancing pond, adjacent to the A20 in Swanley, are now complete.
The purpose of the balancing pond is to hold water from the highway’s drainage after rainfall and discharge it slowly. The improvement works took place between March and October 2023 and have now increased the capacity of the pond by an additional 30% and upgraded the connecting drainage to reduce the risk of flooding. The access track around the pond has also been improved to provide easier and safer access for maintenance teams in the future. Also, the fencing around the perimeter of the pond has been made secure and additional warning signage has been installed along the fence line for the safety of the public who use the adjacent footway.
The team took the opportunity to improve the ecology of the surrounding area while undergoing these improvements works. This programme included the addition of 3,500 new trees across three locations in Swanley, including Elephant Park which is nearby Pinks Hill, which Connect Plus Services’ environmental teams will monitor the progress of. A new natural bund directly to the west of the pond has also been constructed, using suitable material taken from the pond. This initiative helped reduce the amount of waste taken to landfill. The bund has been seeded with a wildflower mix, which in addition to the new trees, will help to improve local biodiversity.
Notes To Editors:
About Connect Plus and Connect Plus Services
- 14 years ago, National Highways awarded Connect Plus the contract to operate and manage the M25 and its key arterial link roads.
- Connect Plus is a consortium that includes Edge Orbital Holdings Ltd, Balfour Beatty and Egis Road Operation UK - a unique partnership with a collective strength in highways maintenance and management.
- Connect Plus Services (CPS), is Connect Plus’ specialist and strategic supply chain partner responsible for operations and maintenance, bringing together the collective strength and expertise of its parent companies, Balfour Beatty, Atkins Realis and Egis Road Operation UK.
- With a workforce of around 600 people, based at seven locations around the network, CPS carries out routine maintenance, and whole-life management of thousands of M25 assets. CPS manages the operation of the network 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, including a severe weather season maintenance programme.
- Over the past 10 years, collectively we’ve delivered over £1.4bn worth of road improvements and junction enhancements, and we’re continually exploring new and innovative ways to deliver safer, more reliable journeys for our customers. Together, we’re passionate about delivering the long-term needs of the M25 and improving the driving experience for all our customers.
- For further information please visit https://www.connectplusm25.co.uk/ or follow us at https://twitter.com/cpservices_m25